You just don't mess with bacon. You can't make bacon taste better.
Except that I think I just did.
Oven-cooked Bacon with Herbes de Provence
(Serves 2. Cooking method from Danilo Alfaro at About.com - my new hero)
- 1/2-lb bacon (6 strips) - I used natural bacon, which hadn't been cured with nitrites
- 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence, crushed with a mortar and pestle to release aroma
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the strips of bacon on the sheet and sprinkle with the herbes de Provence.
2. Place baking sheet in cold oven (this is key). Set oven for 400 degrees.
3. After about 17 minutes, check to see if the bacon is done. You'll know it's done because you'll be crying due to the torture of having to smell the cooking bacon without being able to eat it. Oh, and it will look like this:
4. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb the excess grease.
5. Serve as desired. I whipped up a batch of scrambled eggs with Jarlsberg cheese and threw it onto a whole wheat English muffin with a side of orange juice. Tré yummy indeed.