Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Scale it back?

I've entered my third week of the TurboFire workouts. For brevity's sake, I will just say that this is an amazing, intense, energizing workout series. I have better balance, my core feels tighter, and I'm getting some of my muscle definition back in my legs and arms. When I go for a walk, I can go faster for longer periods of time. In short, it's working.

I'm well on my way of reaching my goal to complete the TurboFire program. Unfortunately, I've got another goal - to lose 25 more pounds by New Year's - that isn't going as well. Here's what I think is happening:

Fact: Muscle is denser than fat; if you had a two-inch cube of fat and a two-inch cube of muscle, the muscle would weigh more.

Translation to my progress: Even though I look and feel better, the scale hasn't moved in six weeks, and has actually crept up a few pounds. Boo.

Fact: Increasing your metabolism (through exercise) can also increase your appetite.

Translation to my progress: I've been eating more, often sugary items that give me a quick boost and take away that "I'm so hungry that I have to eat now" feeling.

Action Plan:

  1. Put away the scale: Success is measured in more ways than just pounds.
  2. Stock up on healthy quick snacks: nuts, fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
  3. Reel in sugar intake: Burning loads of calories through exercise does not translate to an extra helping of chocolate cake.
  4. Relax and have some fun. It's summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment