Bottom line: I didn't want to cook.
My dear husband, patient and kind as he is, gently reminded me that we had already bought food for all of our meals this week. Translation: Not cooking would mean wasting not only fresh ingredients, but our hard-earned money as well. I think my husband knows me and my penchant for frugality pretty well, because he didn't seem surprised at all when I immediately hopped up and put on my apron. In fact, I think I might have spied a satisfied smirk crossing his face. Half an hour later, I had this delectable meal to enjoy:
Mexican Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground white turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup black beans, cooked
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 - 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of red wine vinegar
- 1 - 2 Tbsp slightly watered-down tomato paste
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced into four pieces (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 avocados, pitted and sliced
- Get your grill going (or, if you have an electric stand-up George Foreman like me, set it to "4" and try to ignore the neighbors laughing at you as they stoke their coals/adjust the propane on their real grills).
- Using clean, ring-free hands (I don't know how Paula Deen kneads raw meat with those gigantic rings on her fingers), combine the above ingredients (except the cheese, buns, and avocados) in a large bowl. Don't overwork the meat - mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed, then stop!
- Form the mixture into four patties and place on a plate, making a small round dent in the center (this will make the burgers cook up nice and flat).
- Place the burgers on the grill - do not flatten them, or it will push all of the juicy goodness out! Leave them alone and walk away - but not too far away if you're using an open flame.
- After about five minutes, flip the burgers. Leave them alone again. For goodness' sake, put the spatula down!
- After three minutes, top the burgers with the cheese (if you're using it).
- Check the burgers for doneness after another couple minutes. If you're a stickler for rules, make sure the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. If you're my husband, poke them until they "feel done" (and then if you're me, secretly cut into one and check whether it's cooked through).
- When the burgers are done, remove them from the grill (because no one likes to eat off of a hot grill), place them on the buns and top with sliced avocado. I served mine alongside some homemade kale chips - super-yummy.
Serves 4; 544 calories, 44g carbs, 25g fat, 39g protein
Looks delicious! Congratulations on sticking with your workout while you were annoyed...I probably would have left! I have also "liked" you on Facebook - I know how important goals are!
ReplyDeleteOoo these look soo delicious and healthy! I love turkey burgers and this recipe looks perfect! Can't wait to try these myself :) Consider me your newest follower!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDelete